Did you know…
Your horse can have up to 44 teeth present in their mouth,
AND that up to 60% of horses will have some form of dental disease present when thoroughly examined?
Newcastle Equine Centre has a team of vets who provide a range of dental services to keep your horses teeth in top condition.
A healthy mouth and dentition are essential to enable your horse to continue eating normally, and ensures they perform to the best of their ability during work.
HOW REGULARLY SHOULD YOU HAVE YOUR HORSE’S TEETH CHECKED?
We advise that all horses have a routine dental examination every 12 months. Some horses such as the young (under 6 years), the old (over 20 years) and high performing commonly require an examination every 6 months.
WHAT SHOULD YOU EXPECT FROM A ROUTINE DENTAL CHECK WITH NEC?
- A friendly and skilled veterinarian with a passion for your horse’s health and wellbeing
- Our vet is always accompanied by a veterinary nurse or assistant who will look after your horse throughout the examination, meaning you can sit back and relax!
- A thorough examination of your horse’s mouth. Painful dental disease can be missed without a detailed examination and cannot be treated if it is not be seen!
- Routine ‘rasping’/reduction of sharp enamel points and overgrowths which frequently cause ulceration leading to problems with eating or ridden work. Our vets have undergone training to safely use motorized tools in a controlled way, ensuring they are used safely
- Sedation, included as standard, in all dental examinations
- A dental chart showing you the findings and treatments performed during the examination
WHY DO WE USE SEDATION?
Sedation allows a safe, thorough, stress free examination and treatment of your horse’s mouth to be performed. Painful dental disease can be subtle, and frequently requires the horse to be as still as possible to diagnose and effectively treat.
Sedative drugs are very safe when used by a vet. Your horse will stand quietly, with their head supported by one of our dental head stands, and will be closely monitored by our vet and their assistant.
WHAT IF YOU THINK YOUR HORSE HAS A PROBLEM EATING OR WHEN RIDDEN?
Many of these problems are as a result of sharp points or painful dental disease which a veterinarian is qualified to diagnose and treat
We can perform x-rays to diagnose a range of dental disease, including tooth root ‘abscesses’
We have the ability to treat a range of dental disease, and have a close relationship with a dental specialist who we work with to treat more complicated cases.
WHAT GEOGRAPHICAL AREAS DO WE SERVICE?
We service the Newcastle, Hunter, Port Stephens, Central Coast and beyond!
HOW CAN YOU GET THE BEST VALUE FOR MONEY?
- Take advantage of our regular ‘free travel days’ to all of the above areas – see the ‘Free Travel Day’ section of our website
- We offer a multi horse discount when performing dental checks on 4 or more horses
- A regular discounted dental day is hosted at our clinic in Luskintyre which is easily accessible from the Hunter Expressway – ideal if you have horses in the Maitland, Singleton and Cessnock areas!
YOU DIDN’T REALISE NEWCASTLE EQUINE PERFORMED DENTAL CHECKS?! WHY YOU SHOULD USE A VET RATHER THAN A ‘LAY’ DENTIST.
Veterinarians are the only professionals who are qualified to use sedation, diagnose disease, and perform acts of veterinary treatment and surgery. You could unknowingly be putting your horse at risk by allowing other providers to perform work on your horse’s mouth.
You can also utilize the opportunity to discuss any other health concerns you have about your horse. It is very convenient if you horse has just cut its leg and you know that the vet will be there shortly to perform your horse’s dental check!
So what are you waiting for?!
Book your horse’s dental check today by calling (02) 4927 6135