- Stage I Labor: 1-6 hrs (mare heating up)
- Stage II Labor: 15-30 minutes (from time water breaks
to foal on ground)
- Stage III Labor: Placenta must be passed within 3 hrs of
foaling. Ensure placenta is intact.
- Foal standing within 1 hr
- Foal suckling within 2-3 hr (Call vet if foal has not
nursed by 5 hours)
- Meconium (foals first manure) passed by 12 hrs of life
Standard things to do for the foal:
- Dip umbilicus in 0.5% chlorhexidine solution when cord ruptures and then continue to dip the foal’s umbilicus once-a-day for three days post foaling.
- Give the foal an enema once standing
- Check IgG at 24 hrs-call vet if it fails to clot within 3-5 minutes
Standard things to do for the mare
- Make sure she has passed the placenta
- Give her 1ml oxytocin by intramuscular injection twice daily for the first 3 days post foaling.
Call us today (02) 4927 6135